Step One – Exploring the prevalence data (30 minutes)
Use these website links (Link to resources in US and Canada) and infographics below…(add any handouts from your institution).
NISVS Facts everyone should know
Family Violence in Canada 2014
V.A.W. Global Picture Health Response
An alternative or additional activity:
Use the infographics or other research:
- What are the prevalence data for gender-based violence in your community?
- Trans people
- People with disabilities
- Minority groups
- How does your community data compare to the national data?
Step Two – What is Shape Your Life Boxing? (20 minutes)
- What specific parts of the Shape Your Life program helped Deya?
- How was Deya able to keep her abuse hidden?
- Why does Deya think this kind of abuse can happen to anyone?
Step Three – Explore music video (30 minutes; additional 30 for assessment)
Watch and listen to the Shape Me – Nari video above. This song was created using experiences and words shared by the SYL participants. After watching the video, have a discussion or engage in a free write.
Topic ideas for the discussion or free write:
What lyrics most impacted you? Why?
What emotions did you feel while watching/listening?
Throughout the SYL education steps, there are various forms of expression to encourage healing… such as movement, art and music. What other forms of expression which may encourage healing can you think of?
ASSESSMENT/CHECK YOUR UNDERSTANDING: Think about violence within their own school or community. Think about these questions and crease a PSA to share with others.
If you or someone you know in your school or community was experiencing violence….
- Where could you go on your campus or school to seek help?
- Make a list of resources and share them with your classmates or friends.
- PSA: Create a public service announcement (video, tweet, picture) about your communities resources and SHARE with your twitter/facebook/instagram friends.
IF YOU NEED HELP NOW
How to access help with gendered violence – These links bring you to site for immediate help.